What I Whipped up love Wednesday! (LONG)

By kate blue - Wednesday, June 15, 2011



there are days when I LOVE to cook and there's other days where I'm pulling my hair...since I had to do so much in the kitchen last week with family visiting, I've got stuff in the frig that screamed to be used up & gone!  So, for all of those folks who keep asking how I make my soups, here's the quick, down & dirty tutorial!  Keep in mind that I used mostly  fresh ingredients & some organic ingredients only because I happened to have them...I know that with working women, the schedule doesn't always allow for stops at the farmers market so by all means, SUBSTITUTE!  But this is the gist of it:

INGREDIENTS: 

  • VEGGIES ( I happened to have Yukon gold potatoes (and I do leave the skin on my potatoes), corn that I had from market-when I saw we wouldn't eat all of them, I blanched them whole on the cob so I could use later, you can certainly add a full can of canned no-salt corn), yellow pepper (OR you can use green, red, yellow, orange)...celery, shallots, onion
  • flour
  • stock (your choice-veggie, chicken, you can even use water)
  • seasonings ( I tend to use Old Bay cause I'm addicted to it) and I used celery salt-I do not use plain salt cause trust me, there's already enough salt in Old Bay & in the CS-my hands would look like Oopma Loopas
  • half & half or cream (lite or heavy) to thicken
  • garlic (fresh or jarred) -I showed that I have both and used both to keep vampires away!
  • oil & butter (I was out of butter but I used my Earth Balance with no problem)
 

 My base is always the same-garlic, onion, shallots and fresh celery-NO MATTER WHAT SOUP I MAKE

So my first step is to chop up everything...for those who know me, they already know I never chop uniformly or tiny... my mom hates it but I do it my way and it works for us! I want to see the colors and textures of my food plus I don't want to slave in the kitchen doing menial chopping...  

after that, the rest is what I call "garbage bowl"...I add in whatever is in the fridge that goes together.  Today it's corn, potato and seafood (I didn't show that but when I go to reheat soup at dinner, I'll add in a couple of handfuls of raw shrimp and some crabmeat that's in the freezer-Lynne bought a bushel of crabs for Dad and I knew they'd go to waste if we didn't pick them and freeze them so I put the family to work and froze it!)
**DISCLAIMER* I don't know cooking terms so I use the word "cook" rather than FoodNEtwork terminology and I don't measure when I cook so I don't use 1 cup, 16 oz.....well, if I'm following a recipe for the first time I do, but after that I just memorize and do my own thing...this works for me and I go by taste.

Anyway,  start off by taking a soup pot and heating up 1TBSP of oil and 1 TSP of butter over medium heat.  Add your seasonings & hard veggies (BUT NOT the potatoes or CORN)  like the celery, pepper and onions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often.

add a heaping tablespoon of flour, stir and cook about 3 more minutes..stirring to cook flour
...add 1/2 of the stock and the potatoes...cook about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender (all stoves/pots are different so..)
then I just add the rest of the ingredients(=rest of the stock, the half and half and the corn)...COVER and simmer 15-20 more minutes! 

 and you now have SOUP! I'll serve it with some wonderfully baked bread from Great Harvest and a nice salad and maybe we'll run out to get an ice cream treat from Rita's!   If you are going to add any seafood in the soup like I will be doing later, I cover it and bring it to a slow boil, then add the seafood and once it turns pink/cooked then I'm ready to eat!

but for now...hubs did a little test test for lunch: YUMMO!
tfl !!  Linking up to Sugar and Dots What I Whipped up Wednesday for today, June 15, 2011!  Tons of great ideas and recipes!!!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Thanks for leaving some L-O-V-E !

Blog Widget by LinkWithin