I'm weaning myself into October...slowly

By kate blue - Wednesday, October 03, 2012

In addition to October being "Anti-Bullying" month, it's also Sensory Awareness Month...Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) is a REAL disorder that affects 1 in 20 children. That is one child in EVERY classroom!

I wear THIS bracelet since my adorable Thing 2 is the one (that I know of) in HIS classroom that has SPD:


From SPD Foundation’s website:

“Sensory processing (sometimes called “sensory integration” or SI) is a term that refers to the way the nervous system receives messages from the senses and turns them into appropriate motor and behavioral responses. Whether you are biting into a hamburger, riding a bicycle, or reading a book, your successful completion of the activity requires processing sensation or “sensory integration.”
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD, formerly known as “sensory integration dysfunction”) is a condition that exists when sensory signals don’t get organized into appropriate responses. 

 A person with SPD finds it difficult to process and act upon information received through the senses, which creates challenges in performing countless everyday tasks.  Motor clumsiness, behavioral problems, anxiety, depression, school failure, and other impacts may result if the disorder is not treated effectively.

So, since Blue Cross has terminated all of our therapy benefits, it is now up to me to be his therapist to help him...I could go on and on about those issues but I digress from the point of my post. We recently teamed up with Brian Mengini of FacesofSPD.com for his 31 in 31 Portraits of a Disorder in which he will highlight the many faces of SPD...

SPD kids look just like everybody else and our hopes are that you learn a little bit about the disorder, talk to your kids about those amazing kids who may be in their class...Yes, they may be a bit "different" but deep down, they are really all the same-they play, they love, they learn and crave relationships just like everybody else. They want to be included despite all their little "quirks."  :):

Brian will be featuring my special guy on Facebook and on his website later in the month- LOOK out for HIM!! ...we had a great time at the photoshoot in Baltimore's Inner Harbor and I admit I am a bit anxious to see the pictures since I don't really feel like Thing 2 was very cooperative, but as a parent of an SPD kid himself, Brian understood in more ways than one!   ps-the cool SPD bracelets are for sale on his website but if you are one of my local friends, I have a few here at the house...$8...you know you want one!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oh wow, I never heard of this before. I learned so much from this post. Thank you so much for sharing such a personal story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is blessed to have such a loving and supportive mother!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some L-O-V-E !

Blog Widget by LinkWithin